October 19, 2011

Andy Goldsworthy















Materials- sticks














Materials- Ice



















Materials- Ice













Materials- Glass and Cow dung



















The Andy Goldsworthy Project: Materials- Stone

Andy Goldsworthy is a british artist who utilizes entiraly natural materials to make similarly organic constructions. He is briefly mentioned in "Themes of Contemporary Art" as a "Earth art or Land Art" artist (Robertson, 159). His work is well known as natural, site specific art. Many of the works I found of Goldsworthy's did not have titles, so I included their materials to help gain an understanding of his work.

“I enjoy the freedom of just using my hands and “found” tools–a sharp stone, the quill of a feather, thorns. I take the opportunities each day offers: if it is snowing, I work with snow, at leaf-fall it will be with leaves; a blown-over tree becomes a source of twigs and branches. I stop at a place or pick up a material because I feel that there is something to be discovered. Here is where I can learn.”

"Movement, change, light, growth and decay are the lifeblood of nature, the energies that I try to tap through my work. I need the shock of touch, the resistance of place, materials and weather, the earth as my source. Nature is in a state of change and that change is the key to understanding. I want my art to be sensitive and alert to changes in material, season and weather. Each work grows, stays, decays. Process and decay are implicit. Transience in my work reflects what I find in nature."

Two quotes by the artist, found in a blog by Red Star Café.


If you're interested in Andy Goldsworthy's work, I suggest you watch Rivers and Tides, documentary about the artist made by Thomas Riedelsheimer in 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment